Prev: Re: Vector movement question was (Re: Movement types etc) Next: Re: Vector movement question was (Re: Movement types etc)

[OFFICIAL] Re: No Good Guys?

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:47:39 +0100
Subject: [OFFICIAL] Re: No Good Guys?

>Doug_Evans/CSN/UNEBR@UNebMail.UNeb.EDU wrote:
>>
>> Also, the repression by NAC definitely feeds to the 'no good guys'
line JT
>> mentioned earlier. ;->=
>
>	You know something... This is just an observation mind you, but
the
>idea of "no-good-guys" seems to be the trend in game background writing
>these days. (e.g. WH40K, Heavy Gear, Warzone and quite a few other
games
>out on the market.)  Have we become so cynical and so pesimistic that
we
>no longer desire for real heros and obvious villians for the modern
>myths we weave?  If so, why are we like this.
>--
>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

Wow, this brought up a LOT of interesting discussion and opinions! I've
just read through the dozen or so reactions on the subject, and thought
I'd
try to clarify the [OFFICIAL] viewpoint a bit.....

When I said (typed?) the "no good guys" line, it was actually in
response
to someone (sorry, can't recall who) that was quite violently opposed to
the idea of the NAC in particular being seen as the Men in the White
Hats,
while all other nations were just scummy foreigners (and therefore bad).
The point I was making is that this is not the case - most nations THINK
they are on the side of "right", and nearly all governments are/will be
riddled with corruption and power seekers (the last man to enter
Parliament
with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes.....).
What I should have said, probably, is that there are no NATIONS that are
entirely "good", just as there are none that are entirely "bad" (at
least
by their own frames of reference) - they all have skeletons in their
closets.
This doesn't mean, however, that there are no INDIVIDUAL heroes (and
villains) - there can be as many of these as you like, valiantly
fighting
for the principles they believe are right.

Jon (GZG)