Prev: Re: Lazy Man's Cammo Next: RE: Lazy Man's Cammo

Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc)

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 18:27:25 +0100
Subject: Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc)

In message <199807092047.VAA30494@mgkc.demon.co.uk>
	  "Richard Slattery" <richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On  9 Jul 98 at 9:30, Brian Bell wrote:
>
> > The main thing that I did not like about 7500km/mu/15 minute turn
> > was that you had to reach extreemly high game speeds to reach other
> > planets or jump points. An AU (distance from the sun to earth) is
> > 19,946.666 mu using this scale. This is 207 DAYS at a speed of 1. 4
> > days at a maximum increase of 8 each turn. Four days is a lot at 8G.

At 1g, it takes 2.8 days to travel 1au - assuming you're both starting
and finishing at rest. You can do it in 2 days if you don't bother
decelerating... At 8g, you'll do it from rest to rest in a day.

> As an aside, in our setting we limit how close to a body you can
> enter FTL, but do allow it inside system, between planets. We are
> also toying with the idea of having special entry/exit points for
> FTL, initially we used Lagrange points, but it felt like too much
> PSB. So I'm searching for definable places in systems that can be
> used as places that FTL drives can be used nearish to planets for
> travel between them, and for between systems. Any ideas?

You could always make it 'random' - i.e. based on complicated
criteria which don't need to be explained, but which allow you
to put the points in interesting positions.

On the one hand, it means you have to have some way to agree
before a scenario where points are, which is fair to both sides.

On the other hand, it avoids any PSB.

On the gripping hand, it means you can have a scenario where
the only alder^H^H^H^H^Hjump point in a system is inside the
outer shell of a red supergiant...

--
Be seeing you,	     http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/Gaming/Gaming.html
Sam.		     ----------------------- Roleplaying and Wargaming

Prev: Re: Lazy Man's Cammo Next: RE: Lazy Man's Cammo