Prev: OT: Link speed up Next: Irregular, was Re: Dogs, use of (non-explosive), cats, and grav bikes.

Re: Vulnerability of tanks, aircraft to lower TL attacks

From: <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 16:00:44 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: Vulnerability of tanks, aircraft to lower TL attacks

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Carl J Parlagreco wrote:

> As for tanks, look at the extreme. What would a Roman legion do to
stop
> an M1?

Dig a pit. Roman soldiers did a *lot* of digging. Their knowledge of
fortifications could soon be adapted to AT obstacles and downright
traps.

Also, once someone gets *on* the tank there's very little the tank crew
can do about it without opening a hatch. For how many days does an M1
have
food onboard?

This is, ofcourse, assuming the Romans know what a tank is and what it
can
do, instead of panicking before a mythical beast.

> Then shift it a few TL--both sides. Now
> you've got grav tanks and WW2 infantry, say.

A grav tank is essentially a very powerful helo. Very nasty, but it
still
can't hold ground. The trick is avoiding the stuff you can't deal
with and engaging the inevitable enemy infantry.

Now, power armour advanced enough to be imperveous to your weapons, that
makes resistance futile.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: OT: Link speed up Next: Irregular, was Re: Dogs, use of (non-explosive), cats, and grav bikes.