Prev: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems (and prose) Next: RE: Babylon 5

RE: SAW versus HMGs in StarGrunt and DirtSide

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 16:53:59 +1000
Subject: RE: SAW versus HMGs in StarGrunt and DirtSide

-----Original Message-----
From: jatkins6@ix.netcom.com [mailto:jatkins6@ix.netcom.com]

>SAW/LMG in it.  And that's what does the killing, rather than the
>rifles of the troops.	So there'd be no difference between power armor
>and regular infantry in DS.

Hmm, I think I'd like to disagree a little bit here. The MG in the
section/squad IS the main firepower of an infantry section but the real
power in modern warfare is for the MG to SUPRESS the enemy to enable a
fire team to get in close and take out teh position with grenades, M72,
M203 etc.  MGs are inherently INACCURATE compared to rifles and that is
they way they should be. This i think is pretty well reflected in SG as
well. Most people will fire their SAW as well as the squad weapons. In
most cases the SAW is a d8 Firepower compared to the squad weapons of
d10 or d12! So please don't downgrade the rifleman's friend.

The real killing is done with the close assaults. This is what we try to
acheive in our games at platoon level. Manouvre to a position of
tactical advantage, suppress the target, perhaps inflict a few
casualties to improve the odds	and then close assault.

Now if I can just get him to stay still long enough...................

Owen G

Prev: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems (and prose) Next: RE: Babylon 5