Prev: SAW versus HMGs in StarGrunt and DirtSide Next: Rebel Alliance Fleet

Advanced Guided Missile systems

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 15:52:28 -0700
Subject: Advanced Guided Missile systems

Hello,
	I would like to expand on the GMS rules in DirtSide to include
technologies that are being developed today.

OTH GMS
	Currently a GMS can be fired over the horizon for an infantry or
other
unit to designate the target for.  Therefore, I believe that we should
combine the Forward Observer rules with the GMS rules.	A Forward
Observer
may designate a target by placing a GMS marker face down when he
designates.  The next player then acts.  If the targeted unit is still
in
LOS from the FO then any one unit with GMSs may fire a volley at the
target(s).  If you assume that the FO can designate more than one unit
is
five minutes, then he can attack all of the elements in a unit (platoon)
instead of just one vehicle.

Attack Drones
	Currently the US is building self guided autonomous attack
units.
Therefore, here is my proposal.  A unit may carry Attack Drones.  Attack
Drone Launchers take up six spaces on the vehicle and cost double the
value
of their corresponding GMS/Hs.	Basic 60, Enhanced 90, Superior 120.
The
Drone is launched in a direction by being placed at a point within 40
inches of the launcher, including over the horizon/terrain.  If along
the
way it would encounter an enemy unit (Like going down a highway in the
woods and meeting up with little red riding GEV) it may make an attack.
Otherwise, at its intended point it may attack any enemy unit within 8
inches that are in LOS.
	Attack Drones are supbject to Area Defense, LAD and point
Defense as well
as ECM, just like any other GMS.
	Let me know what you think.
		Phil P.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Prev: SAW versus HMGs in StarGrunt and DirtSide Next: Rebel Alliance Fleet