Prev: Re: Vulnerability of tanks, aircraft to lower TL attacks Next: Re: Odd FT Idea

Re: Vulnerability of tanks, aircraft to lower TL attacks

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:41:02 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Vulnerability of tanks, aircraft to lower TL attacks

You wrote:

>I suppose. I concede that modern aircraft are probably pretty close to
>invulnerable to attack from infantry that's too much below TL. Afghan
>guerilla's only managed to harm Soviet aircraft when they started
>gettingthe CIA supplied Stingers. Comperable TL I should think. But

Uh. . . The Afghans were plinking Hinds with captured Strelas long
before the CIA got into the act.  The problem was they didn't have
Strelas in *quantity* since you have to fire a couple off to get good
odds of getting a hit.

>As for tanks, look at the extreme. What would a Roman legion do to
stop >an M1? Consider it a one-on-one duel. Well, I imagine the tank

Burn the fuel truck.

>the thing we want to think about. Then shift it a few TL--both sides.
Now >you've got grav tanks and WW2 infantry, say.

Freak shot into the turret ring with a Panzerfaust.  But a 17lbr gun
with APDS can ruin someone's day through the rear. . .

Note:  You might have lower-tech weapons with rounds of High-tech ammo.
While it might not be profitable or feasable to import grav tanks in
quantity, it might well be feasable to import higher-tech ammo.  i.e.
that 17lbr gun might be firing APFSDSSD (the last two indicating
Super-dense, insert SFional weapon material of your choice here).

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Vulnerability of tanks, aircraft to lower TL attacks Next: Re: Odd FT Idea