Prev: Re: Tank Traps for High Tech Next: Re: Tank Traps for High Tech

Re: Hi-Tech Anti-Tank Weapons (was re: sniper weapons for SGII)

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:08:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Hi-Tech Anti-Tank Weapons (was re: sniper weapons for SGII)

Jerry spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Tom brings up a good point.  While forseeing advancements in armour in

> terms of mobility, protection and firepower, we must also remember
that
> these advancements do not proceed in isolation.  Grav Drives on tanks
> could mean the development of 'Bounce Infantry' a la Renegade Legion;
> where height above terrain is not a defence against the fusion grenade
> against the turret ring.

True, I did make the assumption that 300 years isn't enough to give
man portable grav equipment or we'd have traveller style grav belts
on our PA allowing them to move 200kph and carry grav stabilized
fusion guys capable of killing APCs.

 The ability to manipulate gravity for
> propulsion implies the ability to manipulate gravity as some sort of
> weapon; if nothing else, some sort of glorified mine.  (To take a page
> from David Weber; a mine that enhances the efficiency of a propulsion
> gravity field in a localized area of the field.  Yeow.)

Like a push-pull? Enhance the gravity in the nose and tail, reduce
the gravity in the middle - tear the vehicle apart with gravitic
stresses? Yeow indeed.

> But certainly vulnerable to methods developed in their time frame.

I think the point (if you will) was about whether infantry without
modern combat gear (second line or poorly supplied) could take on
armour. The answer is "it depends on your TL and your armour." I
believe at some point, armour may become unassailable (just as I
personally believe aircraft action drills executed by rifleman are
just to make the rifleman feel good and maybe to scare the pilots -
not to actually damage air vehicles) to poorly equipped infantry. Of
course, if your setting allows cheap ass grav mines.... well that's
another situation.

Tom.

Prev: Re: Tank Traps for High Tech Next: Re: Tank Traps for High Tech