Prev: Re: FSE Ships cool? Next: Re: FTFB--new fleet design philosophies.

Re: How to kill a GEV tank

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:03:14 -0400
Subject: Re: How to kill a GEV tank

John Atkinson wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> >To which I reply: You expect your charges to work right, don't you
> >John? You expect your rifle (when you carry one) to work. Why not
> >IFF? Especially given 300 added years, I see no reason why this won't
> >be in the 'been around so long its rock solid' category.
>
> Because whether my rifle or my charges work is dependant on my skill.
> I'm confident that I can rig demo 100% of the time.  Dual-prime,
> dual-initiated demolitions won't fail if you do it right (assuming
your
> fuzes aren't cut by enemy fire).  Rifles won't jam if you clean them
> properly.  But IFF is electronics, which is something I can't control
> and can't fix if it goes wrong.  Can't fix in the field under any
> conditions--you need a REMF with fancy equipment to fix a microchip.
> What happens if my helmet stops a slug?  It shatters, I've got a
> headache, and my IFF chip is gone.  What happens if I loose the
helmet?
>  Hell, more often than not I'd want to leave it home anyway.	Boonie
> caps beat that monster any day.

Well lets see if you are magically transported 300 years into the future
does that mean you will automatically know how to maintain, clean and
repair a gauss rifle or a laser rifle? Probably not. But if you are born
raised and trained 300 years in teh future you very well may know how.
Or
maybe it'll be modular components etc. Why not just replace the
microchip
like a battery?

Heard the same hokey arguments about muskets back when I was a long
bowman
around 1066....

Los

Prev: Re: FSE Ships cool? Next: Re: FTFB--new fleet design philosophies.