Prev: Trek Background: SML's are Photon Torpedos Next: Painitng and Customizing FT Miniatures

Re: FTFB--new fleet design philosophies.

From: "Tom Sullivan" <starkfist@h...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:35:05 PDT
Subject: Re: FTFB--new fleet design philosophies.

>    It occours to me that with the changes brought about by the Fleet
>Book that there are now innumerable 'styles' of ship that one could
>concentrate on.  We can go the NSL route and go for armor, beams, and
>no speed, or the FSE which is dead opposite (BTW, Why, oh why did GZG
>make the FSE models so darn cool?  It's annoying--I won't play
>Frenchmen but I really, really like the ships).

     That's a remarkably narrow-minded attitude.  Why limit yourself so?

You sound like a GW fanboy.  "I really like those Heartbreaker figures,
but officially I can only use genuine Space Marine figures for my Space
Wolves...."  If you like the ships, use the ships.  If you don't like
the French, don't call 'em French.  Call 'em something else.  GZG, of
all companies, will understand if you choose to disregard some segment
of the "official" background.  I have a small ton of GZG stuff, and both

of my fleets (FSE and NSL, for the record) were chosen on the basis of
what looked coolest to me.  I have no intention of using the GZG
background for ANY of my games--I find it too limiting.  I'm going with
a far, far future sort of background, one that will let me use all of my

many figures with ease.  And yes, that includes my Space Marines, my
Imperial Guard, my Tyrannids, and my Eldar.  All of which I purchased,
by the way, strictly because they looked good; I would not be caught
dead using GW "rules".	When you get right down to it, the majority of
my figures would be unusable with the GZG background, since too many of
them are aliens of various sizes, shapes, and colors.  Anyone ever see
the "Arachnids" from the "Battlelords of the 23rd Century" line?  Stupid

damn name, but wonderful figures--imagine big bugs, 25mm high at the
shoulder, wearing powered armor with an integral missile pack, and
carrying a really nasty looking rifle....  Where do they fit into the
GZG background?  Now the rules, on the other hand....that's another
story.	They let me use whatever I like, and that's why I like them.

     Sorry for the rant, but I have to deal with GW fanboys on an almost

daily basis, and it gets to me after a while.  They won't look at
anything that is not an official GW product, no matter how good it is,
and it is next to impossible to convince them otherwise.  Ah well...I'll

stop now.

Tom Sullivan
"Yes, but what if this WASN'T a rhetorical question?"

Prev: Trek Background: SML's are Photon Torpedos Next: Painitng and Customizing FT Miniatures