Prev: Re: Full Thrust 3 rules Next: Re: SMLs

Re: Operational Level Game with Sensor Rules

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:19:44 -0700
Subject: Re: Operational Level Game with Sensor Rules

John Leary <realjtl@sj.bigger.net> wrote:

[snippage]

>choice.)   The sensor ranges for the tacitcal game are:
>normal(standard) =  60
>enhanced	  = 120
>superior	  = 240
>special alien (X)= 480
>     Jamming is being used as a level of stealth, which reduces the
>scanning sensor range by half/next lowest grade.

I like this much better. I was thinking of doing something similar with
the
sensor ranges of the rules I proposed (i.e. log 2 to make 24,48,96,192,
etc.), but wasn't sure if the extra distance would be worthwhile if it
couldn't possibly be represented on the table.

>    The incoming ships generate a pulse that can be detected by
>colony planets.
>one planet lets you know an entry has been made into the system.
>two planets narrow the choice to 2 of the 6 possible hexes.
>three planets define the exact hexside of entry.
>Using this one can try to intercept an incoming force in route to
>a planet or wait at the planet itself.

Just an idea: you could change that from "planets" to "sensor stations."
The said stations, which I'm picturing as a small to medium space
station,
would then be secondary strategic goals. The question of destroying them
deprive the enemy of their use, or preserving them in hopes of capture
intact could be fun. So could the boarding actions.

>It is rather unlikely that it will become policy to station an
>intercept force at each of the 6 hexsides at EOS to try to attack
>when the 'visitors' jump in.

How fast do you allow you reaction force to get to the point of
incursion -
assuming it's been pinpointed, or at least guessed ? I guess my real
question is, can a force stationed in the system intercept an opposing
force prior to them moving to the planet ?

Schoon

Prev: Re: Full Thrust 3 rules Next: Re: SMLs