Prev: Flying saucer ship model at Toy's 'R' Us Next: Modern Equivalents

The MOUT Campaign

From: <NVDoyle@a...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:53:45 EDT
Subject: The MOUT Campaign

In a message dated 98-06-19 03:18:04 EDT, Paul writes:

<< Other comments or suggestions for running this 'Mass Urban' game
 appreciated... >>

Speaking from an OPFOR/Threat/Warsaw Pact POV, uh, nukes?
Wait, you did say 'capture', didn't you?  Ok, we'll do it the hard way.

Does the 1 action for bldg movement include the assault process, or is
this
purely a move?	I would think that all in-bldg combat would be close
assault,
and nasty especially when having to go through doors &/or breaches.

I would abtract out the bldg interiors - only model serious, heavy
interior
walls - count everybody in a bldg as being in at least soft cover, to
represent hiding in thin-walled rooms, behind furniture, whatever.  I
also
would not allow 'combat' movement without serious penalty - running
through
uncleared bldgs is a good way to die.  The one action interior move
could be
just standard move, or to be really nasty, use 'combat' move procedure,
but do
not double the score.  Represents getting tied up in clearance drills or
with
civvies.

As a follow-up to the previous idea about mapping the sewers, yuo might
want
to take this into consideration as well.  If this is fought on a
developed
planet, most major cities have an extensive service - travel tunnel
system
under thier downtown-type areas.
This came to my attention during an interesting thought exercise. One of
my
favorite pastimes is trying to figure out how to invade/defend my
hometown
(Indianapolis - yes, a twisted idea, but there have been territorial
disputes
with Kentucky, and they've got tanks...:-)  Downtown Indy would be
bypassed
normally, except that the main supply arteries (I70 & I65) all converge
there.
I figured it would be worth the hassle, until a friend who worked for
the city
gov't pointed out, and eventually showed me, there is an extensive
tunnel
system all over the downtown area, that connects with nearly every major
building and underground service tunnel over a square mile.  Some of
these
tunnels are big enough to drive trucks through.  Pretty scary.

Noah V. Doyle

Prev: Flying saucer ship model at Toy's 'R' Us Next: Modern Equivalents