Prev: Re: A Few New DS2 Ideas Next: Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish)

Re: Communication and Travel

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:43:23 +0100
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

[snip]
>Agreed. But my original proposition was that (In FT) military units
>have become very small and very well trained due to the equipment
>they use, and the multitude of situations that they have to deal
>with, and that 'space marines' at least, are elite.
>I'm trying to find a way to rationalise small numbers of elite troops
>being able to play an important, of not critical role in Planetary
>invasion (Not highly populated core worlds), so that it's
>possible to play out 'major' engagements while using small scale
>rules sets.
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Richard Slattery	      richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk

In general terms, I think we have to look at planetary invasion as being
series of small surgical strikes to destroy/capture key points, and the
threat of orbital support to subdue the colonists' will to resist. All
this
has been discussed at length over the last few days. In game terms (with
DS
and SG), probably the best way is to set up maybe two or three games
each
focussing on one small but important strike operation, and let these be
representative of the invasion attempt as a whole - the outcome of the
invasion can be judged on the outcomes of the limited battles you play.

Just some thoughts,

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: A Few New DS2 Ideas Next: Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish)