Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: A Few New DS2 Ideas

Re: Communication and Travel

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:55:32 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

You wrote:

>The 'probably' is rather important.

It's a non-issue.  Tanks are fun and easy to kill.  Mines, satchel
charges, shoulder-fired rockets.

>True, my example was extreme. Chechen versus Russians is minor power
>using much the same technology as Russians (a second line
>'technological war machine'), with the Russians not commiting front
>line troops (In fact, I think they were raw conscripts mainly) due to
>political machinations back 'home'.

Notes: First, Chechens had mainly the contents of local reserve unit
armories, and then could not operate the heavier weapons they found.
Second, entire Russian Army is "Raw Conscripts".  I know at least one
division of armor was Guards Tank division, and they also committed
Guards Parachute division(s?).	Of course, that's a comment more on
sad, sad shape of current Ruskie army than on military prowess of
Chechens.

>Americans versus Vietnamese, I think you will find the american
>military complaining that their political policies lost them the war.
>Although, I'll readily admit it still would have been difficult
>without that.

*Snx*  Name a single encounter where the Vietnamese didn't come away
worse for the experience.  Tactically, we had them beat cold.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: A Few New DS2 Ideas