Prev: Re: New to the list. Next: How big is human space

OU ships...was:Re: SG actions rule clarification

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 00:15:18 +0100
Subject: OU ships...was:Re: SG actions rule clarification

At 22:20 10/06/98 +1100, you wrote:
>The Oceanic Union Ships are coming along nicely thanks, although I
think
>Nic wants them to become UN as he dosen't think Oceanic Union would
have
>Dreadnaughts and Carriers, I guess that descision will be made at GZG
if
>they like them.
>
>Regards to all
>Trevor Dow
>Adventurous Spirit,
>Torquay, Australia.

	I think that what the OU has sort of depends on how you look at
things in
the past which from what I can see is broadly the case with the FB
fleets.
Italians and French tended to have faster warships those of other
nations
of the same size (1919-1945 period here) and several class breached the
Naval limits treaty (then again who didn't). German ships had good
armament
and better overall protection than the British and American (IIRC so no
flames please). Russians I don't know but I can see some paralels of the
ESU with the USSR navy of the 70's and 80's.
	So if you take Australias naval history as a basis for the OU,
you'll find
that we've had 2 carriers (CVL's admittedly) one battle curiser (HMAS
Australia our first flagship) about a dozen crusiers and i think 2 dozen
destroyers and frigates (as well as 60 Bathurst class corvettes IIRC).
All
these were in service sometime between 1919 and 1948(?). If my library
was
all here in Sydney I'd be able to name them all for you.
	In FT terms I think the OU fleet would be mostly crusiers and
destroyers,
with large numbers of smaller escorts having to double in battle as well
as
patrol roles, backed up by a small number of big fleet units though not
the
size of ships of the major powers. Mostly Battleships, Battlecrusiers,
Light Carriers with perhaps one Battledreadnaught or Fleet Carrier as
flagship. If not entirely of local bulid then all ships will be at least
modified for what the OU wants.
	So a range of OU ships huh? Damn thats more money I'm going to
have to
send to Nic. I hope they turn out better than the "Humpty-Dumpty" PA
suits
(to which my first reaction was that it was an egg on legs).

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: Re: New to the list. Next: How big is human space