Prev: Re: GZG NEWS - DSII Infantry Walkers (was: Re: Bugs...) Next: Re: GZG NEWS - DSII Infantry Walkers (was: Re: Bugs...)

Re: GZG NEWS - DSII Infantry Walkers (was: Re: Bugs...)

From: "Mark A. Siefert." <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 19:28:16 -0600
Subject: Re: GZG NEWS - DSII Infantry Walkers (was: Re: Bugs...)

Mike Wikan wrote:

> >From a military standpoint small Infantry "Mecha" in the range of
10-12
> feet tall are a good substitute for a Tank or an APC in Urban fighting
> where their smaller silhouette combined with superior mobility can be
> used to advantage. Indeed the DoD is going ahead with the "Enhanced
> Soldier" prototype right now (I have a Close relative who is a muckety
> muck in the industry) Numerous defense concerns are involved. It is
> likely to be carrying something similar to an RH202 20mm cannon and a
> 2-4 cell stinger/LAW pack....

	Please don't tell me your kidding.....	Last night I got caught
up in
one of my many Sci-Fi brainstorming sessions (it was a slow night at the
video store).  I was thinking about the feasabilty of the infantry
combat walkers and concluded that theoretically they wouldn't be around
for maybe the next 25-50 years. Have we really come THAT far THAT fast?
--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

     "One quality of life I've pursued with absolute consistency is the
liberty to do whatever the hell I want.  I was always willing to die for
that liberty and now your saying that's what I've got to do?  Well I was
prepared for it all along--now gimme back my goddamned cigar!"

				     --Emerson Ngu
				     from "Pallas" by L. Neil Smith

cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		 http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu/index.html
====