Prev: RE: Friendly Fire was RE: Back to Platoon Leaders Next: Re: Friendly Fire was RE: Back to Platoon Leaders

Re: Friendly Fire was RE: Back to Platoon Leaders

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:17:00 +0100
Subject: Re: Friendly Fire was RE: Back to Platoon Leaders

[snip]

>Actually I have played in system where there was a simple rule about
>friendly fire. Necromunda. Now please don't flame me for mentioning the
>unmentionables as I think its applicable here and I'd prefer not to
throw
>the baby out with the bath water.
>Anyway the rule went something like. Roll to hit. Ooops missed. Any
>friendlies within 1" of a straight line between firer and target? Yes,
then
>roll to see if he's hit. I forget what the roll was (off the top of my
head
>I think it was a 1 on a D6), but bang down goes your own man (damage
done
>as usual). If anyone is actually interested in the exact details of the
>rule I can dig them out.
>I think this worked rather well as it got rid of the simple "no firing
>friendlies are within the general area" or "blaze away friendlies are
>immune" attitudes most other rules I've played/encountered seem to
>encourage. It really did bring home some of the risks - well it did for
me
>anyway.
>
>Cheers
>
>Beth

Well, no-one said that GW don't come up with some good rules
sometimes...
you just don't always notice them among all the cr*p.....  ;)
However, I don't think it needs to be confined to just if you MISS the
intended target - if you are spraying autofire around in a confined
(urban?) area then you are quite likley to take out some
friendlies/bystanders IN ADDITION to the target. This needs some
thought;
also depends on whether we're talking about friendlies getting hit by
stray
rounds, or actual mis-identification of targets (NO! NO! Airstrike on
the
RED smoke.....!!). I think SGII/FMA should reflect both depending on
situation and confusion, while DSII effects would more likely be the
latter
case.

Jon (GZG) - thankful to at last have a discussion topic that has
something
to do with actual games.... ;)

Prev: RE: Friendly Fire was RE: Back to Platoon Leaders Next: Re: Friendly Fire was RE: Back to Platoon Leaders