Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Re: Low Tech Scenarios

Re: Low Tech Scenarios

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 23:40:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Low Tech Scenarios

John Atkinson wrote:

> engagement range is _always_ limited by terrain.  If you can see that
> T-55 at 5,300 meters, you kill it then.  If you see it at 53 meters,
> you kill it then.  As for my Dirtside tables, they always are too damn
> cluttered to use a HEL at max range.
>
> John M. Atkinson

 Well that's where I disagree. You don't always open up at Max effective
range. That's a good way to get your ass wacked .Sometimes you want to
suck
them all in before you kill them. Again it's situation specific. You
fire
at max range and much of your quarry may escape, or pull back and call
in
heavy stuff on you. The answer may be to suck them in and kill them
close.
Doesn't have to be pointblank but neither does it need to be at max
range.
I mean you don't spring an ambush against an enemy rifle platoon at 400
meters. You wait till tehy get in close, so they can't escape. A tank
enagement can be set up teh same way. I've seen this happen many times
at
JRTC and NTC. This is basic anti-armor tactics.Of course if you are
dealing
with the massed tank attack against you, then firing at max range might
be
the ticket, if you believe you are fighting an enemy that will press
forward regardless of loss.  Check out FMF1 Warfighting or Leonard's The
Art of Manuever.

Re: Morale rules. (I know another tangent). With most wargames, most of
your battles are resolved through attrition, (regardless of the morale
rules if any). In real battles, you are defeating the enemy's morale or
will to resist. Inflicting the greatest shock in the shortest period of
time. That's why to me a good set of morale rules would show losses
inflicted in a very short period of time stopping forces as opposed to
prolonged losses over a long period of time. For example, a company
losing
50% casualties over the space of four hours, might still be combat
effective, but a company losing 50% casualties in four minutes is
probably
gonna pack it in.

Los

Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Re: Low Tech Scenarios