Prev: RE: Mobile mines Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios

Re: Mobile mines

From: NVDoyle <NVDoyle@a...>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 01:54:16 EDT
Subject: Re: Mobile mines

On this thread, there are a couple of things that are pretty useful (and
nasty).

Off-route mines - An ATGM, or IAVR is set up pointing across a road, and
sensor wire (or other mechanism) fires the weapon when a vehicle goes
by.

I can't remember where I saw this other thing, but it made a real
impression
on me:

Delivered by air, a medium sized (1m diameter?) squat cylinder sits on
the
ground.  After deployment, it raises a short mortar barrel up out of the
top.
It sits and waits, listening with seismic sensors for any mechanized
movement.
When it senses such within range, it adjusts the barrel and fires a
projectile
or 10.	These projectiles, upon reaching the apogee of their arc, deploy
parachutes, and float gently down.  Using the IR sensor in thier nose,
they
look for the heat bloom from vehicle engines.  When they detect one,
they
explode downward, firing their internal projectile with great force,
usually a
SEFOP round (SElf FOrging Penetrator) into the thin top armor.	All
autonomously.

Neat, but (probably) not Dirtside.  However, i think that the autonomous
robotic weapon systems do add something to the game.  I'll give up on
crawling
mines, but you can't have my Ogre!

Noah V. Doyle
Who thinks that 'rapid-firing cannon with micronuke warheads' are a
pretty
cool idea

Prev: RE: Mobile mines Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios