Prev: Re: Conversions to DSII complete Next: Re: Conversions to DSII complete

Re: Low Tech Scenarios

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 10:23:31 -0700
Subject: Re: Low Tech Scenarios

Niall Gilsenan wrote:
...snip...JTL
> Just look at the Russians versus the Afghan Tribesmen for that.  I'm
not an
> expert on it by any means but it looked to me like the Russians took a
> hammering despite having the better technology.

> Niall Gilsenan,
> DIT, Cathal Brugha St,
> Dublin 1,
> Ireland.

   Not meaning to be critical, but...
The Afghani tribes were able to defeat the Russians because the tribes
used the principal of 'Local superiority' to the maximum.   The weapons
the tribes used were Russian and so 'tech level' is the same.	The
tribes fall into the light infantry catagory and the Russians into the
heavy/mechanized/armored infantry catagories.
     The average DS2/SG scenario (assuming equal points) looks like
this:
     1000 points of tribal light infantry attacking a patrol/platoon
of mech/armored infantry on a road.  The patrol has repeated the same
pattern for the past month and is feeling quite secure in this
pacified area.	The tribals have small arms/GMSL and other portable
weapons (mines, demo charges...).
     1000 points of mech/armored infantry in APCs on a road.
possibly a small tank or two.
     The scenario opens when the lead tank is rolled over by a
command detonated (wire) charge on the road.   The tribals fire
the GMSLs at the now stopped APCs.   The surviving Mech infantry
dismount and try to shoot it out with the tribesmen.   Surrounded,
outnumbered at least four to one the outcome is always the same.
     The tribesmen have attacked at a point where even if the
patrol can get a message off, air assets will not arrive until
after sundown and ground forces will be an hour or more behind.
If any changes happen to the patrol composition or the schedual,
or if air assets are in the area, the attack does not occur TODAY.

Any questions?

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Conversions to DSII complete Next: Re: Conversions to DSII complete