Prev: SGII for Victorian SF? Next: Re: Mobile mines

Re: SGII for Victorian SF?

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 13:16:36 GMT
Subject: Re: SGII for Victorian SF?

On Sat, 16 May 1998 03:09:43 -0600, "Mark A. Siefert."
<cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu>
wrote:

>I've been doing a little thinking.  I wonder just who simple/difficult
>it would be to use SGII for a Victorian Sci-Fi background.  Personally
>think that a Colonial SGII would be a little simpiler to play, given
the
>fact that you can leave out a lot of the technology.  (e.g. ECM,
>Sensors, etc.) Any comments?

I agree, Mark, it could be relatively simple. Combat is pretty simple in
this
case. The only tricky part will be the movement rules. You'll want to
include
column, line, square, etc. formation rules into SG2. If you remember the
movie
_Zulu_, while the British troops "fired at will" from behind barracades,
they
also conducted line volley fire. While this isn't difficult from a
combat
point of view, you'll have to include rules for moving men in formation.

Here are some suggestions:

- shift the target's morale die down when it takes fire from a volley
- troops "firing at will" fire by section/squad as per Stargrunt 2 rules
- troops firing volleys in line fire once as one big squad. So, if you
have an
entire company of four sections standing shoulder-to-shoulder as a line,
they
can fire as one big section

Here are some examples of movement rates (you'll have to playtest these)
- line formation: 3"
- open/skirmish formation: 6" or up to 2d6" as a combat move
- column formation: 8"

Allan Goodall	      agoodall@sympatico.ca

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like
my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like
his passengers.

Prev: SGII for Victorian SF? Next: Re: Mobile mines