Prev: Re: EFSB ships systems displays Next: Re: FB XLS Design Sheet v0.2 Available

Re: Crew Quality Rules (Full Grunt)

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 07:54:59 -0700
Subject: Re: Crew Quality Rules (Full Grunt)

Alrighty then - let's get nit-picky... ;-)

>	Once fleets have been worked out both players then roll for crew
and
>leader capabilities.
>	ROLL	Quality Captaincy	Admiral
>	1	Green		Level 3 Level 3
>	2-5	Regular Level 2 Level 2
>	6	Veteran Level 1 Level 1

By using 2d6 for this roll, you can get a wider variety of results, and
control the pecentages a little more accurately. SGII uses random
counter
selection for the same task, allowing the counter mix to provide the
percentages, but I've never liked that method.

For example, for just crew quality:
2-3 - Elite (9%)
4-5 - Veteran (19%)
6-8 - Regular (45%)
9-10 - Green (19%)
11-12 - Untrained (9%)

That distribution holds fairly closely to the counter mix from	SGII

>	All ships leaving construction yards are considered Yellow until
they
>complete a 4 week shake-down cruise (this accounts for gremlins in the
>ships systems). Once this is complete the crew is rated Green. A player
may
>use a higher quality crew by transferring all the crew from a higher
rated
>ship of the same Mass to the new vessel. To do this the higher rated
ship
>must be at the dockyards where the new ship is built. The crew will
still
>rate as Yellow until the end of the shake down cruise and will then
resume
>its actual status.

I'd say that reducing a crew's quality by 2 levels makes more sense than
an
arbitrary Untrained. After all, an Elite crew should be able to work
around
the gremlins much more efficiently than a real Green crew.

>	All crews/ships accumulate experience points at the rate of 1
point for
>every 6 rounds of combat they survive. They gain an extra point if the
>battle is won and lose a point if the battle is lost (most battles of
>around 2000 pts per side in my experience don't last more than 18
turns).

This seems slightly too record intensive for me, as well as potentially
points inflated. Likewise for the roll which is added for the single
campaign turn only. Call me silly, but I prefer things a bit more
simple.

Say:
1 point per combat where the ship fired and was fired upon
1 point for being on the winning side
1 point per week training (may only be used to advance to regular
status,
no higher)
1 point lost per [?] crew casualties

The reduce the points needed for improvement:
Untrained to Green - 8 points (2 months training)
Green to Regular - 16 points (4 months training)
Regular to Veteran - 32 points
Veteran to Elite - 64 points

I like your concept of a rolling total which can be modified up or down.

>Once a captain reaches enough points to advance roll a d4. On a 1 stays
at
>this level permenantly no further rolls, 2-3 roll again each time
captain
>earns more experience pts (once for each battle not once for each
point), 4
>captain advances to next level.
>	Level 3 captains need 15 pts (and must pass die roll)
>	Level 2 captains need 35 pts (and must pass die roll)

Once again, a wee bit too much paperwork involved in my opinion, though
really like the die roll.

Say that captains gain and loose points along with the ship they're on,
though none for training, and when they reach a certain threshold level:
Level 3 to 2 - 16 points
Level 2 to 1 - 32 points

They may pay for a d6 roll with 4 points. If the roll is less than or
equal
to half (fractions round up) of the current level, he's stuck there. If
the
roll is greater than or equal to double the current level, he increases
level.

Note: this makes it more likely that a level 3 officer will stay crummy,
and that a level 2 officer has better chances at improvement. A "3"
officer
has a 33% chance to be a dolt forever, and a 16% chance of bettering
himself. On the other hand, a "2" officer has a 16% chance of never
improving, and a 50% chance of bettering himself.

If an officer passes down below the threshold level for his level, he
drops
a level, and has to regain it normally. Call it loss of confidence from
loosing so many men.

>	When a new admiral is needed randomly which captain is to be
promoted
>(leaving out those that were promoted this turn). Admirals keep the
level
>they had as captains and do not advance.

I disagree that a captain will retain his level directly to admiral.
Some
do and some don't; it's a slightly different job which requires other
aptitudes.

All of this is intended to be constructive, and I hope it hasn't come
off
as contrary.

Schoon

Prev: Re: EFSB ships systems displays Next: Re: FB XLS Design Sheet v0.2 Available