Prev: Re: You won't beleive this Next: RE: A Humble Request

In space, no one can find you...

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 14:24:59 +0100
Subject: In space, no one can find you...

On Wednesday, May 06, 1998 11:22 AM, Nyrath the nearly wise
[SMTP:nyrath@clark.net] wrote:
>>> 2) To quote The Guide: Space is big. Even within a single star
system,
>>> there's a mind-bogglingly huge area to search for survivors.

>>	In William Tedford's SLEEPING GALAXY, all deep-space
>	fighter craft have suspended animation gear.  In case
>	the fighter is severly damaged, or runs out of reaction
>	mass, the pilot goes into suspended animation for the
>	months (or years) required to be rescued.

As happened to Ripley In ALIENS

Another approach is the time stasis field, as used by Nivens Pak
Protectors

Or wonder medicine in 3001 where a space frozen stiff is
reanimated (awful book I thought)

>	There is an amusing scene when an enemy battlefleet
>	approaches a space station.  The station crew is concerned
>	to note that the approaching battlecruiser's
>	*antenna array* is bigger than their entire space
>	station!

Reminds me of that scene in the Corbomite Maeuver, when Balok's ship
appears

For FT its dried rations for 6 weeks and in lifeboats with very powerful

distress transponders. If you make a powerful enough bleep you will be
found
even in a large expanse of space. If someones looking that is... and if
you are
allowed to look in
peace. Which reminds me of the harsh fate of the crew of the Bismark who

survived the
awful shelling only to be left to die in the water as the rescure craft
thought
they were potential U boat targets.

tim jones
----
----

Prev: Re: You won't beleive this Next: RE: A Humble Request