Prev: Re: SV: Li Han? Next: Re: FLEET BOOK (REVIEWED)

RE: Kra'Vak, inclinations of

From: Kyle Klingler <kklinglr@f...>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 13:24:47 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: RE: Kra'Vak, inclinations of

On Tue, 5 May 1998, John Atkinson wrote:
> semi-mythical demigods to prevail.  Yippee. . . How about aliens that
> do alien things for alien motives which make sense to them?  And have

This reminds me of a chapter from the book First Lensman by E.E. Smith
(The second book of the Lensmen series).  Virgil Samms is going around
recruiting Lensman from alien races and encounters a race he has trouble
communicating with.  Even though the Lens he wears acts a translator
some
of the concepts (like what this aliens job was) didn't translate because
there was no human equivalent activity.  It was refreshing to see
something that was untranslatable after watching so much TV SciFi (ST).
For the time period the series was written (1948+) the concepts of alien
culture was quite interesting and thoughtout.

*  Kyle Klingler - kklinglr@freenet.columbus.oh.us		     *
* I'm not dumb.  I just have a command of thoroughly useless	     *
* information. - Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes			     *

Prev: Re: SV: Li Han? Next: Re: FLEET BOOK (REVIEWED)