Prev: Re: Salute '98 Next: Re: Police Grav vans

RE: Byzantines in space..was Re: X to GZG conversions...

From: "BEST, David" <dbest@s...>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:33:04 -0600
Subject: RE: Byzantines in space..was Re: X to GZG conversions...

No.  There were Kataphractoi/Klibanophoroi  earlier than Nikephoros
(early 10th cent.). Also 10th century manuals refer to Kavallaroi (I
believe but I will have to look it up). Anyway the Kataphractoi were the
heavy heavy cavalry.  The Romans also used the name for ships (new ship
types,hint hint) to show that rowers were covered with decking (armour)
rather than being exposed like on the triers.As for the peltasts when
Anna Comnena talks about them she seems to describe skirmishing and is
using the standard Byzantine habit of archaic terms.

I agree we can take this offline and it is good see someone interested
in the topic.  I can remember a few years back driving from Toronto to a
conference in Michigan (USA).  At the border the inspector asked me the
reason for my visit.  When I answered  "I'm attending a Byzantine
Studies Conference" he surprised me by replying "Oh a Medieavalist!  Go
ahead."

David Best

They