Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: RE: Obstacles, Part 2

RE: Dirtside Engineering Rules

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 21:34:24 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Dirtside Engineering Rules

You wrote:

>However, as SG/DS engineers are going to have to deal with many
>environments(worlds of), I think we'll find that particular type of

Any environment humans are going to live on, will have trees.  If they
don't come naturally, we'll plant 'em.	Lumber is too important.

>roadblock rare. Is there a more generic military term other than
>'roadblock'?

Road block it is.  It's of no friggin' use if it can be bypassed.  If
necessary, I will be more than happy to throw together a post on
Engineer doctrine.

>I feel that old lecture about the dangers of applying specifics to
these >game systems, which I almost posted during the hull shape
arguments in FT >II, rising in my mind, so I'll shut up now...

Singing to the choir.  METT-T the Army calls it.  IOW, you adapt to
your environment.  If your environment has no trees, you don't do
abatis.  BUT, as Engineers have only served on Terran environments,
then I can only post out of my experience and the experience of my
fellow sappers.  Any thing else would be random speculation, which any
jackass with delusions of competence can do.  I _know_ my limits.  You
name a specific environment, and maybe I can come up with specific
obstacles for that environment.  Maybe not.  But 99% of the battles
fought using the SG/DS rules are fought in roughly terran environments.
 I can say that all the Dirtside battles I've ever fought on have
included trees.  To sum up, teach your grandmother to suck eggs before
you preach about the differences between various terrains to a sapper.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: RE: Obstacles, Part 2