Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: RE: What do FT/MT players use to represent missiles?

RE: Obstacles, Part 2

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:27:26 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Obstacles, Part 2

You wrote:

>Sounds good.  Nothing an Assault Pioneer with a chainsaw could handle
>;-).  Any thoughts on on rules for creating the abatis with charges?

Not something I'd want to do under fire.  C-4 can be so delicate if
shot at.  Short answer is yes, you should be able to. Two turns of work
by at least a full squad (2 Dirtside elements).  But if you take fire,
you are 1) Out in the open, no cover benifits, and 2)Roll d6 vs a 3.
If you can't beat or equal it, something catastrophic occours and
remove both elements.  If this occours and there are any surviving
engineer elements on the board, roll a reaction check at +1 Threat
level.	If the Engineers pass this reaction check, remove the command
vehicle because pissed-off engineers with leftover explosives do nasty
things to people who order them to commit suicide.  That's probably a
little bit high, but I'd strongly frown on anyone as callous to his
engineers as to order them to rig abatis under fire.  Honey, if it's
that vital, get someone expendable to do it, like infantry.  Or maybe
Redlegs.  Or cooks, or file clerks, or aviation.

>We never had a chance to do it, but we did go over creating an abatis
>using charges.  It would need time to be set, by Pioneers but
engineers >will do, and then could be activated within seconds.

Errr, um.  Disconnect on terms here.  When I say "Engineers" unless I
indicate differently, I mean Combat Engineers.	In the US Army, Combat
Engineers do all battlefield, combat-related missions, but are somewhat
short on heavy earthmoving equipment and other construction crap.
Sappers.  What the Germans call (used to call?) Assault Engineers
(minus the flame throwers).  What do you mean by Pioneers?

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: RE: What do FT/MT players use to represent missiles?