Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: Re: X to GZG conversions...

Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition(Semi OT)

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:51:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition(Semi OT)

Kyle Klingler wrote:
> One the biggest weapons of mass destruction (pun intended) I've seen
was
> from the anime 3 part series Gunbuster.  The alien race which used
suns to
> hatch its young greatly outnumbered the humans so the humans started
using
> devices which created black holes to destroy their fleets.  The final
> episode dealt with the humans converting the planet Jupiter into a
black
> hole bomb and taking the bomb into the heart of the alien race.  The
bomb
> ended up destroying a large portion of the galaxy.

	Impressive.  However, the biggest weapon of mass destruction
	I've ever seen was in Steve Baxter's RING.

	The Photino Birds were throwing entire *galaxies* at
	the Ring that the Xeelee were building.  Of course,
	the Ring was pretty big as well, its name in
	astronomical circles is "The Great Attractor".

	The Xeelee fought back with cosmic string segments,
	in closed loops in complicated harmonic shapes.
	These would disrupt the onrushing galaxies by
	gravitaional attraction.

	Sounds pretty wild, but the novel is meticulously
	accurate to the laws of physics.
--
  /_\	WINCHELL CHUNG	 Nyrath the nearly wise at the Praeternatural
Tower

Prev: Re: X to GZG conversions... Next: Re: X to GZG conversions...