Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: Latest Nations/States/Organizations document

Re: epic to Dirtside conversions

From: Peter Ramos <pramos1@i...>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:58:08 +0000
Subject: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions

Andy Skinner wrote:

> With pop-ups for VTOLs, not gravs, and fire controls for weapon
systems,
> not weapons, it sounds like you're taking an approach very similar to
> what I've thought about.

I have seen some others in the past voice the same idea so what little
playtesting I have
done seems to back it as a good approach.

> > For example the predator, one HKP type weapon and two HEL's, I gave
it one fire
> > control for one weapon sytem type HKP and one for the two HEL's
(which although two
> > separate weapons its still the same system type). This way vehicles
don't wind up
> > with inordinate amounts of fire control. In our example the predator
could target
> > two different targets.
>
> Yes, that does sound a lot like I'd do it.  I don't really know which
> weapons are supposed to be what on these things, so I'll assign 'em by
> what I think they look like.	Do you make extra firecons the same
level
> as the first, as per rules?  I don't see a need for that, as long as
> each firecon is assigned to a specific weapon system.

Not necessarily. One the really big vehicles, minor weapon batteries and
their fire cons
are usually lesser in accuracy. It all depends of the role these weapons
have (what I
envisioned them to be).

Example the Leviathan's main weapons have very good fire cons while the
lesser gun
turrets hae basic. They rely on sheer firepower not accuracy.

> I did similar things with army character.  Eldar with grav movement
and
> lasers.  I picture Space Marines as having DFFGs, especially on the
Land
> Raider.

I placed real cutiing edge stuff on their vehicles, their supposed to be
a race of few
numbers but really impressive tech.

Yup, marines have all sorts of DFFG stuff (landspeeders, attack bikes,
robots,
dreadnoughts, etc).

> I've wondered about things like ablative armor.  I gave lasers mostly
> the Eldar, so it makes sense for them to use ablative armor.	I guess
it
> depends on the history--are wars normally inter-species, or have the
> civilizations recently met, so their military would be used to
fighting
> others from the same technology?  If army A has lots of lasers and
their
> enemy B doesn't, it makes more sense that A would have ablative armor
> (even though they won't need it) and that B wouldn't (even though they
> do).	Or does it?  Similar question for other weapon systems and
> specific countermeasures, such as GMS and PDAF.
>
> How did you handle such things?

HEL's are used on both sides although much more by the eldar. Ablative
is an expensive
technology so I gave it more to the eldar in defense, but marines (being
the elite among
humans) also have a precious few (actually just the land raider) with
ablative. I guess I
went with the logic if I use "A" a lot I should have defenses against
"A" just in case my
enemy uses "A" too.

GMS seems to be used mostly by humans (squats, chaos and orcs also do
so), so infantry
carry lighter versions while heavier versions are on dreadnoughts,
robots and some
vehicles. As too its defense the races with more technology use ECM in
form of the paint
they use on their vehicles, low techs like orcs use reactive armor (the
plates so many of
their models seem to have made me think this). of course higher tech
races have superior
ECM. As for humanity ony marines have this expensive tech (ecm)

Point defence system are mainly anti-air, but some of the higher tech
races have units
that can have a dual air/ ground role.

I even found appropriate vehicles for placing fragmentation belts (like
assault gorgons).
So without going overboard I tried to place (within reason) most of the
weapon options
the game system gives.

As a short summary these armies weapons:

Eldar, mainly laser, I have included a new category of weapons (warp
energy projector,
WEP) that only eldar use. its on par with DFFG but more range, very
expensive though (20X
class of weapon).

Humanity, mainly HKP, a few HEL's and MDC's. GMS are also widespread,
but usually
infantry
marines have much more DFFG's

Orks, mainly HVC's some modest reactive armor and a lot of GMS

Squats, basically all weapons favoring DFFG's

Chaos, as per humans with warp projectors from their more
arcane/supernatural allies.

Tyranids, instead of making new weapon systems I compared them to the
system it most
looks like. Example: biocannons='HEL, frag spines=ASPW, etc)

Well I just started typing it, hopefully in a week or too it will be
done.

Peter

Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: Latest Nations/States/Organizations document