Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: Aliens?

Re: Dirtside to epic conversions

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 00:36:05 GMT
Subject: Re: Dirtside to epic conversions

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:31:47 +1100, Trevor Dow
<adspirit@pipeline.com.au>
wrote:

>Why do we have to even mention that GW CRAP on this page

Lots of us have old GW stuff that we bought years ago when we were
foolish and
had more disposable income.

>The whole idea of playing FT, MT, DS and SG is to get away from all
that
>heroic, OVER PRICED rubbish dished out by GW. If you want to play GW
>games fine but lets not start turning GZG's into another look alike.
GZG
>games are generic and yes by being generic you can make all sorts of
>Armies in fiction fit into its universe. But for @#%&'s sake can't we
>leave GW put of the picture, they've got a big enough monopoly already.

Actually, GW figures are an excellent way of getting new players into
the
game. There are plenty of people with GW stuff but who are looking for a
better game system. I look at this more in the way of seducing people
over to
the light side of the Force. As such, I'm running an SG2 game at GenCon
that
will use GW figures. The rules will be SG2, though, with few GW required
modifications. I've found that once players get into the GZG games they
eventually start collecting the figures as well.

But if they already have several thousand <insert currency of your
choice
here> worth of GW figures, they might as well use them. And a lot of
people
happen to like the GW background. I don't see this as being a problem.

Now, I WOULD object if we started talking about GW figures and the
background
universe in any terms other than how to convert said into the GZG rules.

Allan Goodall	     agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: zip."
  - This Hour Has 22 Minutes

Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: Aliens?