Prev: Re: Kra'vak Railgun Next: RE: ConQuest'98 FT results (was RE: Kra'vak Railgun)

ConQuest'98 FT results (was RE: Kra'vak Railgun)

From: "ROBERTSON,Brendan" <Brendan.ROBERTSON@E...>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:21:35 +1000
Subject: ConQuest'98 FT results (was RE: Kra'vak Railgun)

I'm back.

This seems to be related so I'll kill 2 birds at once.

First Place:  Andreas Kamel - NSL Fleet.  6pts. 3426-2278.
Second Place: Simon Gray - Kra'Vak Fleet. 4pts. 3017-1279.
Third Place: Ian Poade - Unaligned Human Fleet. 4pts. 3003-2143.
Commendation: Reg Poulton - Human swarm fleet (no capitals)
The trophies were twin Sa'Vasku models, converted to B5 shadow warships
(capital, cruiser & escort), sponsored by Nic at Eureka Miniatures.

The tournament allowed 2000 pt human fleet to design their own ships
with A-batts@4 Mass.  Kra'vak used 1400pts with only the designs from
MT.  All the additional design rules are on my web page.
One additional rule which was added on the day (& made a big difference)
was that Kra'vak scatterpacks required separate firecons to the
Railguns, even when targetting the same ship.  This forced combat
tradeoffs, with the Kra'vak escorts having to decide whether to fire
railguns or scatterpacks each turn.  Peter Newton, who also ran a
Kra'vak fleet commented that these restrictions made them fragile to
losses, but they all managed wipe out most of the human fleets they
attacked.
Andreas was able to take out both Kra'vak fleets, but suffered heavy
losses doing so with a combination of missile, fighter & beam attack.

I was also able to use my own example fleet against the Kra'vak & fought
a very close game, but in the end, victory was snared from the jaws of
defeat by concentrated beam fire & my battleship's Subpac broadsides.
(1034-958).
I have come to the conclusion that BB's with a AA-batt(F) & 2x5 subpac
broadsides is a particularly efficient death dealing vessel against
Kra'vak, as it outranges railguns & doesn't care if it's surrounded by
ships, as any Kra'vak in scatterpack range is going to receive as much
damage as it inflicts from the subpacs.

The most fighters in any fleet at the tournament was 4 fighter groups, 2
Intercepter/1 Torpedo/1LR, which surprised me, although the though of
Kra'vak scatterpacks probably scared them off the idea.  Reg brought an
escort fleet consisting of 14 escorts armed with over 20 missiles, but
had to redesign it after finding out the fleet restrictions.

Any comments or anyone after advice about allowing Kra'vak at
tournaments?

'Neath Southern Skies
http://users.mcmedia.com.au/~denian/
Mary had a little LAM,