Prev: Re: What, no messages? Next: Re: Anyone Going To SALUTE 98 ?

Re: Painting FAQ

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 13:09:13 +0100
Subject: Re: Painting FAQ

At 08:31 3/04/98 +0100, you wrote:
>For [un]official schemes and painting tips see
>
>http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3565/ft-painting-faq.html
>
>I'll update it with any posts here.
>
>tim jones
----
-----

	Well here are my ideas for the Oceanic Union fleet. There is no
one colour
scheme. What I've tried to do is give an Aboriginal "Dreamtime" theme to
the whole fleet which has models from each of the human ranges plus some
Silent Death stuff. The models are base coated with a matt black. Then
you
dry brush a "camo" pattern of irregular shapes and sizes over the top.
How
many colours you use for the camo is up to you but as a rule of thumb 4
colours for capitals, 3 for crusiers, 2 for escorts and 1 for fighters
works best. I've found that "earthy" tones work really well, browns,
autumn
colours (for those of you where the seasons actually change), greens and
subdued blues and the like. Hit the model (but not fighters) with a
brown
ink wash to make the detail really stand out. I then paint abstract
designs
based on Aboriginal paintings and rock art (dots, circles, "snake
trails"...etc) in bright reds, yellows and even white. There's no real
rules at this stage about colours or designs but it is probably best to
keep the designs themselves realitively simple. The overall effect is
that
each ship has an indiviual paint job but I don't think anyone has been
in
any doubt as to the fleets identity when I've gone to a tournament.

	I've thought that a Cal-Tex fleet done in a similar fashion but
using
Indian motifs might look really good.

	Thats my two bobs worth.
	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: Re: What, no messages? Next: Re: Anyone Going To SALUTE 98 ?