Prev: Re: DS2 Moonbase Xi Next: Omega's (was: B5 White Star Miniature)

RE: DS2 Moonbase Xi - Reply

From: Phillip Atcliffe <P-ATCLIFFE@w...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:12:45 +0000
Subject: RE: DS2 Moonbase Xi - Reply

Jon of GZG, him say:

> ...by "rocket" I'm assuming either low-tech chemical burners or things
like plasma jets -- either could be quite nastily useful if you overfly
an enemy at
low altitude....?! <

Ah yes, the Kzinti Lesson -- "A reaction drive is a weapon with
effectiveness
directly proportional to its efficiency" -- or something like that. I
always liked the
STL drive that Niven used in his story "One Face" -- a photon drive that
used
neutronium for fuel (!). Whatever that drive beam touched _vanished_! So
in-system manoeuvring required a _lot_ of computer power to get you
where you
wanted to go without disintegrating other ships, asteroids, satellites,
space
stations, etc. Let's see someone write _that_ one up for FT..! <g>

Phil, remembering that the drive was really powerful, too -- the end of
the story
involved using it to spin up a planet!
"Sic Transit Gloria Barramundi"
   (Or, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!)
   -- not Douglas Adams, but me: Phil Atcliffe
			      (p-atclif@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Re: DS2 Moonbase Xi Next: Omega's (was: B5 White Star Miniature)