Prev: Re: OT: asteroid in-bound... Next: Re: OT: asteroid in-bound...

[semi-OT] Omega Destroyer

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+@C...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:42:10 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [semi-OT] Omega Destroyer

Picked up the Omega Destroyer today.  Six main pieces, front, back, two
halves of the rotating section, and two halves of the engines.	There
are also three "sprues" of little turrets, with (nominally) six turrrets
per sprue.  A few are misformed, but since I think you only need 12 it
isn't a problem.

The fit is... okay.  The engine and rotating sections are duplicates,
and don't quite line up with each other; a bit of shaving should take
care of the engines, but I'm not quite sure about the rotating section.
Whatever else, the hole through the section (presumably to allow it to
spin, though no wire or tubing was provided) doesn't quite line up...
shouldn't be too hard to fix, I guess.	The engines don't fall neatly
into place in the rear, either; I had to find a picture of the rear of
an Omega to fingure out the orientation... not so easy on the 'net, as
most people seem to like the sharp end. ^_-  There's also a good amount
of flash on everything, but that seems to be pretty standard for AoG's
minis.

The detail on the mini is *very* nice overall, though I am marginally
disappointed that the front of the Omega is a solid block.  (The
"hanging" section is actually just armor plates over various bits, it's
not pressurized or anything.  You can see through gaps periodically on
the show.)  Hmm, upon comparizon with my background, the rotating
section struts should be jutting out, not carved in like on the mini,
but that's probably a limitation of the casting process.

All in all... decent.  It's an Omega, certainly. ^_-  I'm not sure I
still want to buy a whole destroyer group (6) like I used to, but if I
get the money to spare, and the painting time, you never know.... ^_^;;

Next up on the wait list: the G'Quon Heavy Cruiser.  The piccie up on
AoG's web site looks pretty decent... and the fact that they need a
special blister for the sucker because it's too long for the regular
blisters is... interesting. ^_^

		    Aaron Teske
		    Mithramuse+@cmu.edu

Prev: Re: OT: asteroid in-bound... Next: Re: OT: asteroid in-bound...