Prev: In case the original map was unclear Next: Re: DS: SAW versus APSW versus RFAC

Non Violent Weapons

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 14:11:15 -0500
Subject: Non Violent Weapons

Hi guys,

I've been working on Non Violent weapons for peacekeeping ops, and
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in the real world with
rubber or wax bullets. My supposition is that they have a
significantly lower effective range (but what range is appropriate?
ideas?) and that they can kill, even though as a rule they do less
serious injuries. Any idea if these rounds use the same powder loads
as normal rounds?

The ruling I'm suggesting for this type of round is the use of a
special NV wpn damage table which gives them a higher chance of
wounding and lower chance of killing. I suggest a reduced impact die
shift (two levels for wax, one for rubber) based on my assumption of
a full powder load and the assumption that even a rubber bullet
hitting an armoured Marine in the eyeball would be bad news. I also
suggest a maximum range such as 1 band for wax and two bands for
rubber. Thoughts anyone?

I'll list here briefly the weapons/technologies I've considered and
ask anyone to supplement my idea pool

wax/rubber bullets, beanbags (GL and shotgun), net grenades, stun
grenades, CS/CN grenades, sonics, neural disrupters, tasers, stun
guns (a la 9 Volt model currently available), Shock gloves, Riot
armour and shields (w truncheons), slippy/sticky foam, firehose, dart
guns, tranq needlers, solidifying foam, and some defences against
some of the above.

Anybody think of any other technologies I should have?

I'm also summating our previous threads on barricades, mines, various
types of wire, etc. into a big piece for SG2 (which a DS2er on the
list can then help me with some conversions on) on channelizing
technologies and combat engineering. (Project #2).

Both of these I will post on my own site, and to Jeremy Sadler's SG2
page (what a great page! - shameless plug) when they are ready.

(So Owen, have you finished the Cavalry rules yet? or Vehicle
Close Assault? *grin* )

So, any input welcome.

Tom.

Prev: In case the original map was unclear Next: Re: DS: SAW versus APSW versus RFAC