Prev: Re: Casting your own mini Next: Some Thoughts on Artillery

Re: Casting your own mini

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 10:07:43 +0000
Subject: Re: Casting your own mini

>In article <199803070458.WAA02112@dfw-ix16.ix.netcom.com>
>tachyon1@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
>>> I've often wondered how to do it and have tons (almost literally) of
>>> fantasy minis for lead.  I don't have the first clue on how to
create a
>>> miniature though, is there a book or kit, can I do this with out
>>> spending a lot of money?
>>>

>To do it yourself, you can make the master pattern out of some clay or
>epoxy putty. To mold it you can use RTV silicone rubber. This stuff
>can be used with white metal as well as resin if you have the high
>temperature stuff.
>
>If you want to manufacture stuff, you use hard rubber molds and a spin
>casting machine. Hard rubber molds need to be cured at high
>temperature, so in that case the master pattern mast be remade in
>something like epoxy or bronze.

In fact, the sculptors we use mostly make the original master in either
Milliput or "Greenstuff" (Duro epoxy putty), which then goes straight
into
the vulcanised rubber mould - these materials will take the heat and
pressure if the figure is properly designed and reinforced with a wire
armature.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Casting your own mini Next: Some Thoughts on Artillery