Prev: Currency Rate Correction: (Was Pendraken Figures) Next: Re: Currency Rate Correction: (Was Pendraken Figures)

RE: SF Quotes <off topic>

From: Mark Sykes <tardis@r...>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 08:07:24 +1000
Subject: RE: SF Quotes <off topic>

At 1:35 PM -0600 2/3/98, " wrote:
>On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Samuel Penn wrote:
>
>> In message <888610465.1117155.0@kryten.acs.bolton.ac.uk>
>>	     Rob Paul <rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > How about one from real life:
>>
>> One of my favourites then:
>>
>> "Kill them all, and let God sort them out."
>
>	"Slay them all, God will know his own." is closer to the actual
>quote.

<SNIP>
>	Close, but not quite.  The first recorded utterance of this
quote
>was from a monk (his name escapes me) during the Albegensian Crusade.
The
>target of this particular crusade were the Albegensians (aka Cathers),
>followers of a gnostic religion that lived predominatly in Southern
>France.
>
>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

 For those interested try searching for :

"Albigensian" and/or "Cathar" as alternative spellings

and a not quite recent book entitled, I think,	"Holy Blood, Holy Cross"
for an interesting thesis on the Holy Grail mythology which covers thet
period

Cheers

MarkS

All the way from GallifreyŠ

tardis@rocknet.net.au	- the preferred address
msykes@mailbox.uq.edu.au

Prev: Currency Rate Correction: (Was Pendraken Figures) Next: Re: Currency Rate Correction: (Was Pendraken Figures)