Prev: RE: Solitaire Full Thrust and old SFB Next: Re: %%$$^&#! Missed our Chance

Re: Custom Miniatures

From: Tony Francis <TONY@s...>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 10:04:18 +0000
Subject: Re: Custom Miniatures

> I am considering making some custom resin miniatures <snip>
> Any info anyone has, or comments would be appreciated.

You haven't said what you're planning to make. Resin is wonderfully
suited to large, blocky models such as buildings and 15mm / 25mm
vehicles. It will reproduce surface details superbly, better than
metal. What it's not suited to IMHO is fine / thin detail such as gun
barrels, aerials etc, or thin parts such as aircraft wings - so it
isn't really suited to DS2 or FT miniatures. Any fine parts would be
too thin to stand up to tabletop usage.

When making your mould, you'd be better off making the mould in two
separate halves rather than trying to cut a single piece. Embed your
master in plasticine or equivalent (something like plastilene casting
wax is ideal) then cover it in silicone rubber. Let this set, remove
the plasticine and spread some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on
the exposed faces of the mould half (this will stop the other half of
the mould sticking to it). Then pour the rest of the rubber.

If you use the right sort of rubber you can cast both metal and resin
in the same mould.

Hope this is useful.

Tony Francis
(tony@simis.co.uk)

Brigade Models website
    http://www.uk-net.com/uk/freeweb/users/brigade

Prev: RE: Solitaire Full Thrust and old SFB Next: Re: %%$$^&#! Missed our Chance