Prev: Re: DS Rule Clarifications Next: RE: SF Quotes <off topic>

Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 18:10:06 +0000
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

In message <34EF7B09.1FC3@sj.bigger.net>
	  John Leary <realjtl@sj.bigger.net> wrote:

> Samuel Penn wrote:
> > As another option, there's nothing stopping the C&C ships
> > from downloading new tactics to the drone fighters as the
> > battle progresses.
>
>     The presumption that the owners of the superdrone have
> have an unjammable, indecypherable, instantaneous, communication
> system means that no AI is required on the fighter, It is a dumb
> drone.

And as we both know, such a communication system is implausible.
What I really meant is that the AI in the drone is good enough
to handle dogfighting and basic tactics. C&C though always have
the option of updating a drone's long term goals.

Targets can be changed (all drones concentrate on enemy C&C),
general tactics modified (fight defensive rather than offensive,
use tactic model B rather than A). This sort of thing requires
a short burst communication of a few hundred bytes (authentication
is also needed, as well as encryption).

It gives the advantage of an AI (no massive life support) with
some of the advantage of human ingenuity (for those who think
AIs will never have this). A single laser communication burst
every few minutes makes it difficult to block and intercept.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/
Sam.				       ----- Roleplaying and Wargaming

Prev: Re: DS Rule Clarifications Next: RE: SF Quotes <off topic>