Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage - LONG REPLY Next: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!?

RE: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:23:27 -0000
Subject: RE: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

On Wednesday, February 25, 1998 6:44 PM, Tony Christney
[SMTP:acc@uvic.ca] wrote:
>> >Our most accurate current similar pointy targetting devices *now*
> >I suppose are telescopes. I don't know how long it takes to lock onto
a small
> >fast moving target in earth orbit such as a satellite or MIR but
suspect
> >its not
> >that easy?
>
> Radar is far more accurate for targetting/tracking than a telescope.
The narrow
> field of vision inherent in telescope design make them unsuitable for
this sort
> of application. Coupling the targetting/tracking system to the weapon
is
> the more difficult task.

Oops,

What I meant was assume the telescope is analagous to the weapon,
as its a big heavy  thing that focuses light, how good are current
technoogies
for getting a telescope on a target and tracking it? If you see the
target
in the centre of the 'scope then you just shot it. Could a terresterial
'scope
track MIR for instance.

 I don't know if there are any active telescope tracking systems that
use radar
maybe NORAD has one for eyeballing the space junk?

 I wasn't saying use the telescope as the fire control tracking system.,
thats silly.

Anyway looks like this threads is way due to diediedie now anyway.

Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 Camouflage - LONG REPLY Next: Re: Now Dream Pod 9?!?