Prev: GZG - East Coast Convention - last announcement Next: Re: DS2 Infantry Figures

Re: Hammer's Slammers

From: carlparl@j... (Carl J Parlagreco)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:33:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Hammer's Slammers

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:52:50 -0500 John Crimmins <johncrim@voicenet.com>
writes:
>	I've recently been reading David Drake's Hammer's Slammers,
>after putting
>the task off for far too long (I read his "Northworld" series long
>ago, and
>absolutely hated it--this managed to put me off Drake for quite a
>while),
>and I have been toying with the idea of creating the Slammers for
>DSII.
>This, of course, means that I have to find some proper minis....  I've
>decided to use the DSII version of the "Slammer" hovertank, both
>because
>it's a nice figure and because it fits the descriptions given in the
>stories pretty well.  What I need to find are a good match for the
>Slammer's Combat Cars.  They are "seven meters long and three wide at
>the
>base, the armored sides curving up like a turtle's back to the open
>fighting compartment in the rear." (Hammer's Slammers, page 85).  Any
>ideas?  The infantry doesn't much concern me--not at this scale.  And
>mid-tech troops ought to do.

I always imagined a German SdKfz 250 or 251 half-track from WW2. You'd
have to convert. I've got a plastic 1/35 scale SdKfz 250 that I did this
for StarGrunt. I built a frame around the track areas and around the
wheel areas. Then I put kleenex on it and soaked it in elmer's glue and
water. When it dried, it looked like a fabric skirt. Now I just have to
base it with cotton on the bottom to represent the dust. Looks great! I
think it might be a trickier job to convert the 1/285 figures, though.
Or, it might be a whole lot easier! Maybe some putty or something,
slapped onto the tread areas, would work.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: GZG - East Coast Convention - last announcement Next: Re: DS2 Infantry Figures