Prev: Re: Anti-Mine Treaty (was:DSII Question- Obstacles) Next: Re: Anti-Mine Treaty (was:DSII Question- Obstacles)

Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

From: Jerry Han <jhan@i...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:40:42 -0500
Subject: Re: DSII Question- Obstacles

Two, two, two replies in one!

Los wrote:

> Jerry Han wrote:
>
> > Seriously though, I've found that such setups make really bad game
> > scenarios,
> > unless you're replaying World War I, Western Front.  Otherwise, you
> > would
> > need extremely compelling reasons to attack a defence like that head
> > on,
> > whatever the odds are.
> >

> Funny, if you are a proponent of manuever theory, (Real manuever
theory
> not the thinly veiled attrition based theory that the we in the US
> practice), then a set piece battle by definition, is a failure in your
> operational manuever.

Or a circumstance where your goals are inseparably tied together with
a terrain objective.  (Maneuver theory don't mean a damn if you
can't maneuver.  The Germans learned this the hard way in Big Mistake
2.)

You would need extremely compelling reasons to attack a defence like
that,
but the reasons do exist.  World War I is an example, simply because
there
was no flank to drive around, no means of achieving the goal required
without blowing a bloody hole in the defences of the enemy.  The Pacific
War also has examples of this type of fighting; Okinawa and Iwo Jima are

just the last examples.  (Hell, Olympic and Coronet, if they had gone
off,
would be the ultimate examples; get off the boat, plant your feet in the
dirt, and beat the enemy until the enemy capitulates.)

Ugly, but then war is ugly.  You'd think we'd learn to do things a
different way by now.

>From a different message, but Los wrote:
> You get a  country like North Korea sitting across the DMZ in a pretty
much no
> notice assault posture. Of course they're not gonna sign away a major
force
> multiplier in that circumstance. In any kind of real conevtional style
 war
> like that wouldn't be smart. Especially if you are the snuffy in
1/507th
> staring glumly across the DMZ.

Amen.  I was actually thinking of a Canadian Peacekeeper trying to keep
stay
live while keeping two extremely heavily armed opponenets apart.  Or any

situation where there's you, your buddy, and fifty of the bad guys
charging
at you.

Indiscriminate land mine use is bad; no doubts about that.  But
everytime I
think of the fact that there are no anti-personal land mines available
in the
Canadian Armed Forces, I think of the Princess Pats and Kapyong...

J.

--
 *** Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan ***
 "There's a tug of war between what I can and can't feel

Prev: Re: Anti-Mine Treaty (was:DSII Question- Obstacles) Next: Re: Anti-Mine Treaty (was:DSII Question- Obstacles)