Prev: Re: [COMMERCIAL] GZG NEWS! Next: Re: Superdrone

Re: Fighter Jocks.

From: Jerry Han <jhan@c...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:42:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighter Jocks.

Allan Goodall wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:07:25 -0800, John Leary <realjtl@sj.bigger.net>
> wrote:
>
> >As far as the sonic boom vs WWI aircraft, I think it makes for
> >a great short story.   The presumption that everything will
> >just fall apart as you go by in your jet or never regain control
> >due to the shock wave is a bit much.
>
> Ooooooh, no it's not! Until late in the war, no one knew how to pull
> out of a spin. It was assumed that a spin was fatal. What's more, it
> took very little to throw a WW1 fighter into a spin. In some, just
> stalling the plane or turning too tightly would do it. The wake of a
> twin engine fighter travelling supersonic should do it, too.

There's a short story on this topic that was published years ago.  I
read it in one of those short story sci-fi anthologies: Space Fighter
3000
or something like that.  (8-)

Also remember that WW1 fighters were fairly fragile compared to modern
counterparts.  What was VNE for a Camel?  100knts?  Granted, she didn't
stall until 40 or 50 or so, but still... (8-)

J.
--
Jerry Han -  CANOE Canada - jhan@canoe.ca - http://www.idigital.net/jhan
  ***** Visit the Canadian Online Explorer! => http://www.canoe.ca *****

Prev: Re: [COMMERCIAL] GZG NEWS! Next: Re: Superdrone