Prev: Re: GZG Mini and Dice collections? Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

From: "chad" <chadtaylor@d...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:23:04 -0500
Subject: Re: Further thoughts on hitting with lasers

> Assuming active sensors for targeting, make that triple!
>   1) Time for sensor to reach target
>   2) Time for reflection of sensor to reach firing ship
>   3) Time for fire to reach target ship
>
> --
> Brian Bell
> brian.bell@axom.com
>
> The Full Thrust Ship Registry
> http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
> Dirtside II Site
> http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
> Stargrunt II Site
> http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
> Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
> http://www.axom.com/bkb/scifi_game.html

I had been thinking about this also.  In addition I would like to offer
computing time for the targeting.  At this level even very short periods
of
time will have a huge impact.  You have a huge distance to the target
and
rather (we can assume) fast speads (of both target and shooter).
Besides,
at rather large distances after you start adding all these factors in
you
get the problem that if your weapon is off by even the smallest fraction
it
will translate to huge misses at the other end.

I would like to add a few other thoughts.  It seems that a lot is being
said about 'fighters' and then I read the length of '1000 meters'.  Now,
that seems like a rather large fighter to me  :)

I also would like to bring up the other measurements of the ship.  We
are
talking (at least the calculations so far indicate) about a 1000 meter
long
ship.  But, how wide is it and how tall is it?	I think this should be
taken into account because who says your going to get a hit on it long
ways.  I would suggest that as soon as enemy craft are detected you
would
rotate your ship to bring the smallest target to bear against them.

Most of the discussion has also involved lasers.  Now, I would also
suggest
that a laser is going to have to hit a specific point on a ship for a
period of time in order to do any real damage (at least as I understand
it).  What if you had your ship rotating?  It would seem that this would
spread the beams contact over the hull, at least to me.  Even if it only
took a very short period of time for the laser to do damage, after you
add
in ship movement and rotation (both being changed in a random pattern as
much as possible I would guess) it might be harder to do the ship damage
farther out.

Heck, make your ship round and out of ice.  Have it rotating and smooth.
would think that this would help you survive a hit somewhat.  I have
this
really cool image in my head of someone doing welding repair work on ice

:)  I would think the ice would be harder to detect than metal and would
have other uses besides easy repair (emergency fuel perhaps).

All kinds of other things to take into account for that long range beam
shot.  Electronic measures will be taken into account.	If you are using
radar all kinds of fun can be had if you have a ship that you are
willing
to dedicate to the purpose.  You could easily toss out reflective junk
scatter the laser before it hits you (it would fly along the course you
are
moving - the one the enemy is tracking also, so it would be deflecting
in
exactly that one small area you might need it the most).  Just a lot of
things to take into account.

I suggest that we will see lasers (of some type) for close in work and
missiles (of some type) for extended distances.

Probably going to see three range brackets.  One in which beams will
play
an offensive role (short), one in which both beams and missiles will
have
extended roles (med) and one in which missiles will play the prime role
(long).  All this assumes two moving ships of course.  Against a
stationary
target just throw a big rock   :)   (and yes, I realize it is a bit more
complicated than that  :)  :)

Chad (the none scientist,  so have mercy on me with your response if I
have
missed any big things  :)