Prev: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout Next: Full Thrust Ship Registry

Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

From: Brad Holden <holden@t...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:43:48 -0600
Subject: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

   Sender: owner-ftgzg-l@bolton.ac.uk
   Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:02:17 -0500
   From: Los <los@cris.com>

<3.0.3.32.19980210090247.00995e60@rincewind.sar.bolton.ac.uk>

   Ah a very interesting thread....

   Jonathan white wrote:

   > Then of course there is the problem of shielding your drones AI
computers
   > from external interference. I'd love to know what a close
detonation EMP
   > warhead would do to a pack of drone fighters :).

   Not that I'm a proponent of AI fighters, (Some pundit always comes
along
   predicting the demise of human invlvement in fighting wars), but an
EMP burst
   against a human fighter would be just as bad. Sure he might be OK,
but what
   about all the circuits in his ride? They'd suffer as bad as the AI
core of a
   non-human fighter (assuming similar shielding).

Not that this has much to do with FT but...

EMP can be pretty nasty to people as well.  Especially if you want
enough
EMP to hurt a shielded piece of electronics, basically you are going to
generate a lot of high energy electrons.  People don't deal with lots of
ionizing radiation (basically its just like giving someone a big dose
of radioactivity.)  They are gonna get sick and die.  This should be
true
for big organic brains.  Heck, its probably easier to big a fiber optic
computer that is emp-proof then it is to make a person EMP proof.

cheers
brad

Prev: Re: FTIII Rules Tryout Next: Full Thrust Ship Registry