Prev: Re: The wide open road Next: Re: Late-Nite ramblings on LEGO-Grunt

Re: Crew Quality & David Weber

From: It's like I've always said - you can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than with just a kind word <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 08:35:25 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Crew Quality & David Weber

>Though set in the Honor Harrington universe it does not feature her. Of

>interest to us is an essay by Weber on the setting for the HH books
>which contains a lot of information on how his starships work.
>It set me wondering, how would you reflect technology differences in
>Full Thrust? For example the Manticorian navy relies on its
>technological edge and more importantly its vastly superior crew
quality
>to balance it against the far more numerous Peeps.
>Limiting weapon selection and maybe degrading range for some weapons
>seems the only easy way to do it. The system is not really fine grained

>enough for anything more. Crew quality is more difficult, any
>suggestions?

The only thing that comes to mind immediately would be to limit the
Peeps to B-batts as their primary weapon and allow the Manticorans to
have A-batts.

I see that as a 'built-in' tech level in the FT universe (least, it
works for me ;)

Mk
---
If the conquest of a great peak brings moments of exultation and bliss,
which in the monotonous, materialistic existence of modern times nothing
else can approach, it also presents great dangers.  It is not the goal
of
*grand alpinisme* to face peril, but it is one of the tests one must
undergo to deserve the joy of rising for an instant above the state of
crawling grubs.
				       -Lionel Terray, 1965

Prev: Re: The wide open road Next: Re: Late-Nite ramblings on LEGO-Grunt