Prev: Crew Quality & David Weber Next: Re: Crew Quality & David Weber

Re: The wide open road

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 23:06:20 +1000
Subject: Re: The wide open road

Jim 'Jiji' Foster wrote:

> I would think the biggest problem with driving to cons down under
would be
> the traffic on the open highway. I saw a documentary the other night
on TNT
> that seemed to indicate a great deal of 'offensive driving' by large
> numbers of people with the *strangest* taste in clothing and makeup...
> mean, mohawks in a convertible? That's no way to promote personal
hygine...

> But if you can catch it, I reccommend it to anyone interested in
Australian
> culture and tourism. Had Mel Gibson as the 'man on the scene'
reporter.
> Can't quite recall the title.... The Road..something or other.

It's "Mad Max" in the original. "The Road Warrior" is the US Title for
it, and most Australians don't know that title. I belive it was dubbed
into USA-ian as the Hollywood crowd had problems with Oz Accents. Wonder
how they coped with driving on the left?

BTW from the looks of it, it was shot on the Road from Canberra to Yass.
Could be wrong, many Victorians roads look similar.

And so as to be completely off-topic, last night SBS showed "The Wild
East", which is a cross between "Seven Samurai"/"Magnificent
Seven"/"Battle for the Planets" and Mad Max. Post-holocaust (but how can
you tell?) Kazakhstan.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Crew Quality & David Weber Next: Re: Crew Quality & David Weber