Prev: MIME mail Next: Re: Worried about GenCon.

Re: MIME mail

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:22:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: MIME mail

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Tim Jones wrote:

> MIME is a de-facto standard for email communications
> so much so that you may not even realise your email program is doing
it which I
> think is probably happening in this case. If you're stuck with an
email
> program, through no fault of your own, and it doesn't do MIME then I
think you
> have to live with it under the axiom "good of the many outweigh the
good of the
> few"

Nota bene, the only time that a MIME email-aware mailer /should/ have
MIME-converted data (as opposed to just straight, readable text) is if
and
only if the data /is/ an attachment (and, as above, is evil and
wasteful).
Such things like HTML-encoded emails and the like are also, as above,
definitively evil.  Thus I think we can say definitively in the case
above
that its the sender's misconfiguration (if reply text is sent
MIME-encoded) or the sender's willful evil (if they replied in HTML or
put
on an attachment) that's the problem, not Mike.

I do note to Mike that both Pine and Elm are MIME-capable these days and
can, if one bothers (I seldom do), decode the MIMEification.  Its best,
however, if we never see it at all.

ObGZG: Whatever happened to the FMA Thrust project?

--
[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]

Prev: MIME mail Next: Re: Worried about GenCon.