Prev: Re: GZG distribution in NA (and a side comment about EFSB) Next: Re: GZG distribution in NA

Re: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 17:47:05 +0000
Subject: Re: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon

>Ground Zero Games wrote:

[snip]
>Jon, CE did it right.	You're wrong in MT for making fighters move
>before ships.	Why???	How agile is a ship?   How agile is a fighter?
>Get the picture?  Fighters are fighters because they are so fast and
>agile that they operate inside the descion loop of starships.	They can
>see what a starship is doing and then change their course and speed to
>chase it down.  You should have made other changes if fighters are out
>of hand.  This also applies to missiles.
>
>IAS

Sorry, I don't agree with you. I won't say you are "wrong", because this
is
SF after all and we can all do pretty much as we want anyway. If you
feel
that the original FT (and EFSB) fighter movement is a  better  model for
B5
games, then use it by all means. However, in FT itself the use of the MT
fighter movement gives (IMHO) a better balance to the game, and requires
more tactical thought on the part of the player; if you play well and
anticipate your opponent's actions, it is quite easy to place your
fighters
within their 6" reaction distance - of course, he is trying to outthink
YOU
at the same time.... :)

To me, this is the kind of thing that makes play more interesting,
rather
than just a die-rolling exercise.
If you want PSB to "justify" it, then yes, fighters are faster - but
they
also have much smaller reserves of fuel, and once committed to an attack
vector thay may not have enough to radically change it in response to
some
sudden evasive move by the target ship.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: GZG distribution in NA (and a side comment about EFSB) Next: Re: GZG distribution in NA