Prev: RE: DS2 VTOL vs ADS Next: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

FT "Worldbooks"

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 98 22:35:16 GMT
Subject: FT "Worldbooks"

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Winchell Chung wrote:

>I know that the licensing would be prohibitly expensive,
>but wouldn't it be grand if Full Thrust could come out with
>"Worldbooks" much in the same fashion that GURPS does?

Lovely idea, but I* think the licencing requirements would kill it. The
B5 idea of a separate ship combat game and role-playing game is
interesting, but it's the first time I've heard of such a split of "game
rights".

Furthermore, I gather that quite a few of the intellectual property
owners can be a real pain to deal with: insisting all the artwork be
changed when the books are ready to go to press, sitting on a submission
for six months and not returning calls, that sort of thing - not exactly
good for the game company's cash flow - and then demanding _lots of
attention right now_ when they do finally condescend to talk...

Licences killed Leading Edge Games. I'd really rather Ground Zero didn't
go the same way.

* I don't have credentials in the gaming industry, but I've spent a lot
  of time talking with Dave McKenzie of Leading Edge Games...

Lovely idea, though... <sigh>

Roger

--

Prev: RE: DS2 VTOL vs ADS Next: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS