Prev: RE: Re-scaling question (Stargrunt) Next: Re: Game Show at Newark (UK)

Re: Age and Complexity

From: Kyle Klingler <kklinglr@f...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:06:54 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Age and Complexity

I'll try to keep this post on topic by relating my story about how I got
started in FT.	I'm a fan of anime and had been getting a great magazine
called AnimeUK.  In it I saw an ad for anime miniatures (I still wonder
what the Yuki & Suki figs look like) and a game called Full Thrust.
What
caught my eye about the game was that the ad said that it had been used
at
some convention (whose name I can't recall) to run a game of Star
Blazers/Yamato.  I had been looking for a system to use to run my own
game
using the plastic models I had. (I had played at a convention a version
using modified Star Hawk rules from TSR's Star Frontiers) Unfortunately
at
the time I lacked the know-how to make an international order, so I
start
watching for it at conventions.  Finally I found a copy at a con around
1990-91.

What impressed me most about the game was the simplicity.  I had been
playing SFB and was getting burned out by the complexity.  In one of the
earlier battles my friends and I fought using FT & MT I used my Gamilon
Triple-deck Carrier model and its fighters.  That game is when we
discovered the power of missiles.  Which reminds me of the time when
during
a battle one of my ships was under attack from enemy torpedo & heavy
fighters and had no defenses.  I solved the problem by having my wave
gun
ship which had come to a complete stop spin toward the fighters and make
clean sweep of the area of fighters.  Valuable lessons were learned on
both sides.

*  Kyle Klingler - kklinglr@freenet.columbus.oh.us  "I'm not dumb.   *
* I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."  Calvin  *
*   "I have the strength of madness."  Miaowara Shiro		     *

Prev: RE: Re-scaling question (Stargrunt) Next: Re: Game Show at Newark (UK)